Reporting to the VP of Marketing, this role is responsible for driving new client acquisition and mining the customer file for all digital marketing programs. Responsibilities include: Paid and Organic Search, Social (Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest), Email (acquisition & housefile), Marketplaces and Affiliate Marketing. Develops annual marketing budget and seasonal business plans to achieve sales and profit targets. Directly supervises the Digital Marketing staff. Key internal partners include Web Merchandising, Buying team, & Catalog Marketers. Also responsible for managing external partner relationships with Google, Facebook, Amazon, BlueCore, Selligent, ROI & Converge. Seeking a highly motivated, self-starter with strong quantitative and interpersonal skills.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop new drivers of qualified traffic to the site and raising overall visitors over time without negatively impacting conversion rate. Oversee, mentor, and develop the team’s capabilities in:
35% Search Engine Marketing (SEO and SEM)
- Manages advertising spend within annual ROI goals; drives year over year program growth
- Work with SEM vendor to and develop a program strategy and assures that top Hammacher items and all new product releases are optimized across paid search channels
- Work with SEO vendor to guarantee Hammacher site is optimized for organic search, outpacing the competition.
- Analysis of web site traffic and related purchasing activities to support web site improvements.
- Continuous improvement of site effectiveness through key item development (competitive review, establish key positioning points), on-site search improvement, keyword development, actively testing and developing product content, and management of cross-sell/up-sell functionality.
- Evaluation of site response information to drive improvement, including the effectiveness of the different conversion points, product category effectiveness, determining weaknesses in the site based on where visitors exit the site, and discovering the areas in the buying process where visitors leave the site before a purchase is made. (Partner with the Sr. Director of Merchandising)
20% Facebook and Instagram
- Maximize Hammacher’s position on Facebook (and Instagram)
- Oversee all ad placement with an eye on profitability
- Utilize all programs offered by Facebook (where appropriate) to leverage the unique Hammacher brand and product offerings through dynamic ads, custom audiences,
- Oversee Hammacher’s placement of unique product on Amazon
- Leverage appropriate attributes to secure the ‘buy box” for key Hammacher product
- Optimize all of the programs offered by Amazon to strengthen Hammacher’s exposure as well as conversion
10% Email Marketing
- Mentor the email program manager by exploring opportunities for frequency optimization, segmentation, retargeting, merchandising and design to maximize current revenue while enhancing the email file strength
- Manage email vendor relationships with Email manager
- Share analysis of weekly top item report and top-browsed item report with appropriate stakeholders.
- Prepare merchandising reports (re site click-stream, conversion and abandonment rates and influences); use reporting to drive visual merchandising maintenance and initiatives.
- Utilizes a number of reporting tools to summarize collected data into standard and customized report elements for executive overview.
5% Affiliate Marketing
- Responsible for monitoring changes and gathering data in affiliate marketing performance.
- Maintains contact with affiliates thru significant written (email) and verbal (telephone) communication.
- Must be comfortable and enthusiastic in initiating and sharing marketing communication with large number of affiliates, such as communication of new products, promotional offers and Hammacher branding initiatives.
- Requires heavy partnering with Creative, Inventory Management, Merchandising, Marketing, IT, and Operations.
Required Qualifications, Education, & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, eCommerce or other applicable major; MBA preferred
- 7-10 years of progressive, related business experience and/or training
- 5+ years internet marketing experience
- 1-3 years experience managing others
- Experience in catalog and/or ecommerce space.
- Retail Experience a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proven track record of achieving success with online acquisition and demand generation.
- Able to demonstrate success converting site traffic and/or catalog audience through compelling visual merchandising.
- Proficiency in web site analytics,
- HTML, MS Word and Excel required.
- Proven ability to manage, train, and develop staff
- Strong team player
- Budgeting and planning experience with understanding of the elements of a P & L.
- Effective project management skills.
- Strong Leadership and Management skills
- Ability to work independently while providing appropriate communication to management.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to engage and motivate a team.
- Able to develop and internally sell strategic Internet marketing plans.
- A strong knowledge of the Internet and current technologies.
- Familiarity with web-site analysis tools.
- Strong analytical skills, detail orientation, multi-tasking ability, excellent organization skills.
- Strong computer skills, particularly with Microsoft Office and Excel and Powerpoint
- Ability to succeed in an environment with multiple projects
- Creative/innovative thought-process
- Strong marketing intuition. Strong quantitative aptitude and tendency.
- Hands-on approach with a natural analytical curiosity, creativity, and drive.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to effective present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients and/or customers
- Excellent financial, mathematical skills. Full understanding of the elements of a P&L.
- Solid analytical skills with an understanding of the application of data to business problems.
Hammacher Schlemmer, a well-recognized, upscale consumer catalog since 1848, brings “the Best, the Only, and the Unexpected” innovative products to our valued customers. We offer fine apparel, high quality electronics, exceptional furnishings for home and office, durable utility goods, and a unique selection of thoughtful gifts for adults and children.
Benefits: Our company is wholly owned by our employees through an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) that allows you to not only derive the benefits of working as an employee at Hammacher Schlemmer, but also gain the benefits of being an owner.
We also offer: A Business Casual Work Environment, Health and Dental Insurance, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Paid Time Off (PTO) Program, Direct Deposit, Credit Union, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance Program, Employee Referral Bonus Program, 401(k), Profit Sharing, Tuition Reimbursement, Onsite Cafeteria, Onsite Fitness Center, Product Discounts and more!
Hammacher Schlemmer is an Equal Opportunity Employer