Develops concepts and researches the marketplace for products consistent with the company’s image and positioning for its catalog, web, and retail channels. Introduces the next generation of amazing, unusual, one-of-a-kind and “best of its category” items to millions of customers. Negotiates pricing and terms and manages vendor relationships.
- Develop strategies for merchandise mix consistent with HS image and positioning with regard to historic sales and trend analysis, competition and new products available in the marketplace.
- Generate proprietary product development ideas and work closely with product development manager and overseas agents through the development process from inception to manufacturing to delivery.
- Execute new product negotiations, product files and vendor contracts.
- Business maintenance and management: margins, return rates, monitoring competitors, identify new category opportunities, verify factual information about all products, participate in creative reviews, and maintain vendor rapport as well as internal cross-functional team relationships.
- Provide product presentations and copy direction – working closely with creative team
Required Qualifications: Education, Licensing, Certification, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Catalog/internet/retail experience
- A strong background in strategic planning, brand management, corporate positioning, domestic and offshore product development
- Previous responsibility for sales, margins and margin percentage growth
- Exposure to product development and importing
- 1-3 Years experience managing merchandising-related operating functions
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Broad knowledge of many subjects; voracious appetite for learning new things
- Previous luxury goods buying experience a plus
- Well-traveled with an understanding of target market
- Keen visual and creative sense – attention to detail with eclectic interests and tenacity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Excel and Power Point
- Must relate well to people at all levels in and outside the organization
- Ability to maintain strong long-term relationships with vendors
- Demonstrate excellent negotiating skills
- Domestic and international travel required
- Candidate should be skilled in anticipating and responding to changing competitive environment and consumer needs.
Hammacher Schlemmer, a well-recognized, upscale consumer catalog since 1848, brings “the Best, the Only, and the Unexpected” innovative products to our valued customers. We offer fine apparel, high quality electronics, exceptional furnishings for home and office, durable utility goods, and a unique selection of thoughtful gifts for adults and children.
Benefits: Our company is wholly owned by our employees through an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) that allows you to not only derive the benefits of working as an employee at Hammacher Schlemmer, but also gain the benefits of being an owner.
We also offer: A Business Casual Work Environment, Health and Dental Insurance, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Paid Time Off (PTO) Program, Direct Deposit, Credit Union, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance Program, Employee Referral Bonus Program, 401(k), Profit Sharing, Tuition Reimbursement, Onsite Cafeteria, Onsite Fitness Center, Product Discounts and more!
Hammacher Schlemmer is an Equal Opportunity Employer